The amazing choices it has revealed aside, the internet really has put information in front of more people than paperback books ever could do. Yet it is also true a fair amount of guitar books have been published that it could be just as taxing deciding which one is perfect for self-teaching and learning.
The challenge most beginners face is the tendency to overreach and want to delve into more advanced playing techniques before they have tied down the foundational skills and theory. Indeed, some of these books start off covering stuff that some adult learners may even consider too elementary.
But you will be amazed at how many of these basic skills some self-taught guitar players get wrong without even knowing it. Unfortunately, the more you practice with poor technique, the more it gets entrenched and becomes difficult to correct. So the following books would be a great choice for you with a view to self-teaching.
Best Guitar Books for Self Teaching
|Book Name & Author||Image||Rating||Price|
|Teach Yourself to Play Guitar: A Quick and Easy Introduction for Beginners by David M. Brewster||9.0||View on Amazon|
|Guitar Book for Adult Beginners: Teach Yourself How to Play Famous Guitar Songs, Guitar Chords, Music Theory & Technique by Damon Ferrante||8.8||View on Amazon|
|Guitar Exercises for Beginners: 10x Your Guitar Skills in 10 Minutes a Day (Guitar Exercises Mastery) by Guitar Head||9.0||View on Amazon|
|Guitar Scales for Beginners: How to Solo Effortlessly and Create Your Own Music (Guitar Scales Mastery) by Guitar Head||9.2||View on Amazon|
|Fingerstyle 101: 2nd Edition by Dan Thorpe||9.0||View on Amazon|
1. Teach Yourself to Play Guitar: A Quick and Easy Introduction for Beginners
Teach Yourself to Play Guitar has been created specifically for students with no music-reading background. With lesson examples presented in today’s most popular tab format, which also incorporates simple beat notation for accurate rhythm execution, Teach Yourself to Play Guitar offers the beginning guitarist not only a comprehensive introduction to essential guitar-playing fundamentals but a quick, effective, uncomplicated and practical alternative to the multitude of traditional self-instructional method books.
Moreover, it also covers power chords, barre chords, open position scales and chords (major and minor), and single-note patterns and fills. The book includes lesson examples and song excerpts in a variety of musical styles rock, folk, classical, country, and more. You can familiarize the student with fretboard organization, chord patterns, hand and finger positions, and guitar anatomy by way of easy-to-interpret diagrams, photos, and illustrations. It also provides complete, concise explanations while keeping text to a minimum; and prepares the student for the option of further guitar instruction.
Inside the Book
- The book comes with comprehensive instructions and theories to teach you how to play guitar effectively.
- It includes huge examples, quizzes, and quotes to allow you to get proficiency on guitar quickly.
- This book incorporates simple beat notation, easy-to-interpret diagrams, photos, and illustrations to deliver clear ideas.
- You could learn the concepts of power chords, open position scales, single-note patterns, fills, chords, and so on.
- It will teach you the mystery of chord patterns, guitar anatomy, and hand and finger positions.
- You will have instructions on song excerpts in a variety of musical styles through this extraordinary book.
- The book is composed in a concise, incentive, and interesting writing manner to ensure essential guitar-playing tactics.
2. Guitar Book for Adult Beginners: Teach Yourself How to Play Famous Guitar Songs
Music Professor Damon Ferrante guides you through how to play the guitar with step-by-step lessons for adult beginners and streaming video lessons. Based on over twenty-five years of guitar-teaching experience, Damon Ferrante’s best-selling guitar books are used by hundreds of thousands of guitar students and teachers. This easy-to-follow method is designed to be interactive, engaging, and fun.
The lessons will expand your song repertoire and improve your guitar technique, creativity, and understanding of music. Whether you are teaching yourself guitar or learning with a music instructor, this book and streaming video course will take your guitar playing to a whole new level.
If you have always wanted to learn how to play famous guitar songs but did not know where to start?
If you did you start guitar lessons once and give up because the lessons were too difficult?
When you are struggling to follow online guitar lessons that seem to jump all over the place without any sense of direction or consistency, and if you would like to expand your musical understanding and learn how to play the guitar through an affordable, step-by-step book and video course, then this beginner guitar book and video course is definitely for you.
Inside the Book
- The book will guide you on how to play the guitar through step-by-step and easy-to-follow rules.
- It will reinforce your understanding of music and allow you to solidify your guitar experience.
- You could grab the secrets, techniques, and principles of playing guitar like a professional through this book.
- The book will inspire you to be devoted to learning the mystery of guitar through the engaging writing tone.
- It will give you complete ideas of power chords, finger numbers, strumming, counter beats, and so on.
- You could learn the anatomy of the guitar and the musical notations of all types of music through this book.
- This book includes streaming video lessons and each lesson comes with comprehensive examples.
3. Guitar Exercises for Beginners: 10x Your Guitar Skills in 10 Minutes a Day
You shouldn’t have to practice for hours or wait for years to be able to play your favorite songs. It sucks the joy out of learning the guitar and makes it boring and tedious. Yes, you need to practice. But not as much as you’ve been told to.
With the right practice strategy, you can get 10x the results out of each practice session. And it’s disturbing to see so many beginner guitarists fall into the trap of practicing with no end.
To solve this problem you can read “Guitar Exercises for Beginners: 10x your guitar skills in 10 minutes a day”. A book designed to provide a structured, systemized, and disciplined way to practice guitar.
You can enhance your guitar playing by practicing for just 10 minutes a day. That’s all it takes for most people to make incredible progress with their guitar skills. 10 minutes of the right practice every day. With over 100 well-crafted exercises this book will ensure a balanced mix of melody, harmony, and rhythm. It starts with simple guitar tablature and finger independence exercises.
Then you move up a level to things like how to hold a pick, picking methods, and strumming patterns. Followed by exercises for techniques like hammer-ons and pull-offs. With exercises dedicated to chords and scales, the book will make sure the concepts stick. After having mastered the basics you can move on to playing melodies and chords.
Inside the Book
- The book comes with beginner-friendly guides and instructions to teach you the tactics of playing guitar.
- It provides the right practice strategies to allow you to get incredible progression on guitar overnight.
- This book is composed in a concise, structured, disciplined, and systemized approach to be favorable to you.
- It features a good mix of melodies, rhythms, harmony, and other essential principles
- You could master complete finger independence, power chords, scales, finger numbers, and so on through it.
- The chapters of this book are divided into various stages to make the overall learning process easier for you.
- You will find up to ten easy and popular melodies and chord progressions in the book.
4. Guitar Scales for Beginners: How to Solo Effortlessly and Create Your Own Music
As you’re determined to teach yourself how to play guitar, you might opt for this book with full confidence. It will significantly improve your guitar playing skills and make you a successful guitarist. The mysterious techniques and complete coverage of theories will expand your experience level remarkably. You will definitely find a positive creative breakthrough to climb up the peak of success in playing guitar. The step-by-step guidelines will make the principle of playing guitar thoroughly easy and effortless for you.
You will find tips on how to create your own fretboard map through it. In addition, the book will teach you how scaled are formed and how they actually work. You will find clear concepts of power cords, hand and finger positions, counting, strumming patterns, and many more major topics. It will provide you all the tools you require to create the music of your dreams. As it solves all the potential problems a beginner guitarist faces, you will have optimal support in boosting up your guitar proficiency at a great speed.
Inside the Book
- This book will provide you with the most effective techniques for mastering the guitar.
- It will release your frustration and weakness in playing guitar through some secret tips.
- The book will guide you on the right route to become a gem of playing guitar overnight.
- It will make you enable to create your very own fretboard scale and realize the music notation.
- You will find a wide range of examples, exercises, and tips to get proficiency on the guitar.
- It will teach you how the most essential scales are formed and how they work in a simplified manner.
- The book will let you put theories into practice by proving tons of lick ideas and audio tracks.
5. Fingerstyle 101: 2nd Edition
This paperback is ideal for beginners who are striving to find the actual road to success in playing guitar. It covers all the fundamental theories of playing guitar to allow the ambitious guitarist to reach the cherished goal. A huge collection of notes, tips, examples, and quizzes, makes the overall process of playing guitar incredibly easier. The book includes new, updated, and engaging formulas to teach guitar lovers how to play guitar. It also breaks down the methods of musical notations in various styles.
By reading this book, you will find up to ten stunning finger-picking patterns that are essential for mastering the guitar. You will get solid ideas of the fingerpicking mistakes and the method of fixing them up. It will progress your skill by delivering you an in-depth guide on how to read TAB. You could discover the exact technique of reducing sore fingers by dint of this great book. The book will guide you on how to use the mind’s eye in having the right rhythms of music while you’re playing guitar. You will find optimal confidence and fun in playing guitar with this book.
Inside the Book
- The book features all techniques and instructions on how to play guitar properly.
- It provides a bunch of secret techniques to master on guitar with just twenty minutes of practice sessions per day.
- You will have a complete understanding of fingerpicking patterns to be able to play all genres of songs.
- This book will offer you tips and advice on how to avoid the most common mistakes in fingerpicking.
- You will find step-by-step methods of mastering chord changes and enhancing the guitar’s sound.
- It incorporates an in-depth guide on how to read TAB and how to keep your body relaxed for a long-term playing period.
- You will find a broad range of audio examples and all the lesions are presented with visual illustration.